Last week Mark had a special one-on-one lesson with Melanie, who had previously given him some valuable advice that made the pillar look better than they had been and helped Mark be more efficient with production. Not to mention that he didn’t have to closely monitor the cooling process. Wow, he sure has been cranking out the candles now! Melanie brought her molds, wicks, notes, canisters, experiences and knowledge and they spent two and a half hours in the honey house. Pouring and talking and pouring some more. I wish I could have been there to take more pictures but at least I got to say hi to them both on my lunch break and snapped a few pictures.
After the lesson, Mark poured more candles with different wick styles and sizes and then we did our burn test this weekend. We haven’t done tea lights before but Mark is experimenting with them now. Looks like we are okay with the wicks he had been using on the pillar. The pine cone may be okay also. The wick we used in the candle below was too big, creating a flame that was too high, causing fast pooling which resulted in spill-over. It’s been fun to learn, as always, and we hope to continue improving on our production of candles.